Drug Overdose Blamed In Keller Teen's Death
Student Dies From Mix Of Xanax, Oxycodone
FORT WORTH, Texas -- The Tarrant County Medical Examiner has determined the cause of death for popular Fossil Ridge High School student Tyler Bailey. Bailey, 14, who earned good grades and excelled on the football field, died of a drug overdose following a deadly mix of Xanax and Oxycodone.
Xanax is a depressant, sometimes called a "minor tranquilizer." Used to treat stress and nervousness, Xanax can be deadly, especially when taken with other drugs, including alcohol. Oxycodone is used to relieve moderate to severe pain, is a component of the drug OxyCotin and can be highly addictive.
Tyler's parents said he was an "A" student and a star on the Fossil Ridge freshman football squad.
The young athlete's best friend, Tim Jansante, told NBC 5 he believes Saturday's incident was Bailey's first time using drugs.
"I didn't believe it at first," Jansante said. "You hear about it all the time, but you never think it will happen to you or anyone you know."
Police said they have not seen an increase in the use of Xanax, however other high school students tell NBC 5 it's increasingly popular.